10 HOME HOLIDAY GIFT IDEAS FROM LOCAL VENDORS IN THE URBAN CORE OF OKLAHOMA CITY
Black Friday is just around the corner and I believe most of us hate the idea of shopping when everyone else is. Luckily for you, Verbode has a great idea. There are many local companies that make amazing things that will help a home feel like, well, a Home! We will give our favorite locals who can bring some life to your home. We will also tell you where the holiday shopping is this season. The places where the crowds aren’t as frantic and the items are made locally.
First off there are Three really awesome seasonal shops you can’t miss:
Downtown Winter Shoppes – Located in front of the Myriad Gardens park with some great local shops and creators. It is so close to the ice rink you could make a night of it. Bring the kiddos for the Carousel Rides for only $1 per person. There is also a ton of opportunity for holiday photos with the fam!
Holiday Pop-Up Shops – Located in Midtown next to Bleu Garten. “This year, we’ll have dozens of independent shops and an urban Christmas tree lot managed by Bishop John Carroll School. Shops rotate weekly through a set of geodesic domes & the tree lot is available until trees sell out. We’re open Thursday through Sunday from Black Friday until Christmas. Entry is free, shopping is encouraged!” – Allison Barta Bailey
Indie Trunk Show – December 5th in the State Fairgrounds’ Oklahoma Expo Hall – “Shoppers will find handmade goods, vintage style decor/accessories, repurposed furniture/home decor, small boutiques/businesses, and community organizations.”
Now it is time for the list. People and places that will help you find the perfect gift for your Home!
10. Habitat Humanity Renovation Station – 1800 N Broadway Ave, Oklahoma City, OK 73103 – “Provides a more affordable choice for home improvement projects, all while keeping perfectly good items from the landfill. This year, proceeds from sales at our two Renovation Station stores will help create and preserve home ownership in central Oklahoma.” Nearby Neighborhoods = Heritage Hills, Mesta Park, Jefferson Park, and Lincoln Terrace.
9. 30A Home – 1106 NW 50th St, Oklahoma City, OK 73118 – “We are hands-on in every aspect at every level. Each and every product is selected with intention and with thought. We consider not only an object’s alignment with our core value of being good to ourselves and to the earth …but its ability to bring the simple element of joy to an individual. After all, the truest enjoyment lies in cherishing an object for the physical as well as the spiritual pleasure it brings.” Nearby Neighborhoods = Brookhaven, Crown Heights, Douglas, and Edgemere Park.
8. JL Woodworx & Design – “A locally owned maker/design company established in Oklahoma City in 2007 by husband and wife team, Jay and Christina Long. As Okie natives, we value and are inspired by all things Oklahoma. They carry a variety of wooden, textile, and paper home goods that includes throw pillows, giclee prints and Oklahoma inspired shelf, wall, and kitchen accessories. We create home goods out of beautifully worn salvaged lumber to infuse our design aesthetic into todays modern space.”
7. Retro OKC – 1708 NW 16th St, Oklahoma City, OK 73106 – “Mike and Tracy are two of those people who are enamored with the 1950’s and 1960’s. Attracted to the cars, fashion, architecture, advertising and of course furniture from the middle of the last century.” This shop is for those homeowners with a little nostalgia. Nearby Neighborhoods = Classen Ten Penn, Gatewood, Mesta Park, and Miller.
6. James Rogers Glasswork – “Working with stained glass since the early 1990’s and feel the constant need to be creative. I like working with my hands making just about anything: sewing, woodworking and old cars. To many really so I get easily distracted. My passion is with glass so I am working on building my shop space to include a kiln for fusing and painting.”
5. The Plant Shoppe – 705 W Sheridan Ave, Oklahoma City, OK 73102 – This shop is for those plant lovers who do not have a green thumb. Plants that look great, but don’t need a ton of your attention. The Plant Shoppe even has workshops to help you build a great accent piece for your home. Nearby Neighborhoods = SOSA, Miller, Linwood Place, and Classen Ten Penn.
4. Sara Kate Studios – No. 102, 1100 N Broadway Ave, Oklahoma City, OK 73103 – “Simply put, Sara Kate Studios sees life in the little things. We treasure the special items that complete a space: an heirloom-quality keepsake, a funky foreign textile, a retro modern accent lamp, or go-to cozy rugs and blankets. It’s the combination that makes it personal, and we fancy ourselves masters of the mix.” Nearby Neighborhoods = SOSA, Lincoln Terrace, Jefferson Park, and Heritage Hills.
3. Urban Farmhouse Design – 400 S Western Ave, Oklahoma City, OK 73109 – “Industrial and reclaimed materials to the next level. We re-purpose metal and wood into one-of-a-kind furniture pieces.” Nearby Neighborhoods = SOSA, Mesta Park, Heritage Hills, and Classen Ten Penn.
2. Perch’d – 14 NW 9th St, Oklahoma City, OK 73102 “Unique modern accessories, home goods and gift items in a refreshing way. While pushing the boundaries in new and surprising ways, Perch’d carries products that never cease to amaze the inspired eye. Perch’d has an appreciation for objects and form that are thought provoking and crafted by designers, artisans, architects and creative minds.” Just look for the small blue storage container on 9th St. Nearby Neighborhoods = Heritage Hills, Mesta Park, Jefferson Park, and The Paseo.
1. Plenty Mercantile – “Life and style products that convey a strong sense of origin, process, and authenticity. To provide goods in some way to improve the quality, experience, and need of life. To serve wholeheartedly; offering an experience that is memorable and desirable. To educate and share. To inspire creativity in thought and action. To feed the soul and stimulate the mind.” Nearby Neighborhoods = SOSA, Mesta Park, Heritage Hills, and Classen Ten Penn.